The iPhone continues to prove itself as an ideal host for fresh musical possibilities.
A highly intriguing development is the Arpeggionome for iPhone, which transforms the iPhone into a new and expressive musical instrument. In addition to the entrancing music it generates on its own, Arpeggionome (which stands for “Arpeggio + metronome”) for iPhone can control other iOS MIDI apps, other MIDI gear, DAWs and software like Live, and more.
Arpeggionome was created by Alexander Randon AKA Alexandernaut, an Electrical Engineer, iOS Developer, and Musician based in San Francisco.
Here’s more details on this exciting new app, as explained by Alexandernaut:
Design intricate patterns of musical notes, then trigger those patterns at different pitches and speeds with an x-y matrix. Tilt the iPhone for accelerometer-controlled pitchbend and volume, and with the ‘MIDI Upgrade’ in-app purchase, control other iOS MIDI apps, external MIDI gear, and computer software like never before.
Design arpeggio patterns from scratch, or use a preset.
• Fifteen touch-knobs are used to design complex musical patterns.
• A wide-range of presets are accessible via buttons or table-view.
The Performance Matrix: musical expression at 240 notes-per-second.
• Move up-and-down the matrix to set the pattern’s rate.
• Move left-and-right to set the pattern’s starting-note.
• Trigger up to 240 notes-per-second.
Accelerometer-controlled pitchbend and volume, essential for 8-bit solos.
• Tilt the iPhone forward-and-back to control volume.
• Tilt the iPhone left-and-right to control pitchbend.
A sophisticated MIDI implementation.
• Control other iPad music apps (such as Animoog, GarageBand, FunkBox, and Magellan).
• Control external MIDI hardware (synthesizers, drum machines, sound modules, etc.).
• Control external MIDI software (devices in Ableton Live, Logic, Pro Tools, etc.).
• Supports Virtual MIDI, CoreMIDI hardware interfaces, MIDI over Bluetooth, and MIDI over WiFi.
• $4.99 In-App Purchase required.