Just like cars, studios are getting a lot smarter.
The latest development in brainy gear is from Antelope Audio, which announced that its Orion32 interface, which contains a 32-channel AD/DA converter and audio master clock in a 1U rack unit, has added a number of new features, starting with the ability to notify users on firmware updates directly from the control panel, and automatic updating at the user’s request.
The Orion32 supports both MADI and USB interfaces and is clocked by Antelope’s 64-bit Acoustically Focused Clocking (AFC) technology. The unit now automatically runs a software assessment at startup, and can initiate any required software updates at the push of a button.
In addition, the Orion32 now also includes a zero-latency 32×2 mixer, news feed links to “how-to’s” and tutorial videos as well as other performance enhancements and general bug fixes.
The Orion32 sells for a street price of $2,995. Here are more details on what’s new, as supplied by Antelope:
Orion32: Unmatched Audio Quality and Clocking in an Interface
The Orion32 allows 192 kHz I/O streaming of up to 32 channels through its custom-built USB chip, which provides seamless connectivity to any USB-enabled DAW or computer. The converter also provides 32 channels of 96 kHz audio through its Fiber Optic MADI I/O connections, making it perfect for capturing audio in live sound environments and many other applications. When using the MADI interface, the Orion32 can handle 16 channels of 192k audio.
Orion32 is also an audio master clock, employing Antelope’s proprietary 4th generation of AFC and oven controlled oscillator — both technologies that made Antelope Audio clocks an industry leader for accuracy and reliability in recording, mastering and post-production facilities around the world. The four word clock outs, together with the 10 MHz input, make Orion32 ideally suited to be in the center of any project or high-end studio.
Orion32 is packaged in a 1U enclosure with an eco-friendly power consumption of only 15 Watts. In addition to saving rack space and having very low heating levels, Orion32 comes with an extremely reasonable pricing even for small home studio, launching with a street price of only $2,995.
Orion32: Key Features
• Zero latency 32×2 mixer
• Firmware update notifications at startup
• Antelope Audio precise AD/DA conversion technology
• Up to 192 kHz on 32 channels I/O via custom-built USB chip
• 32 channels I/O via Fiber Optic MADI I/O connections
• Eight D-SUB 25 connectors for AD and DA
• 16 channels on 4 ADAT input and output connectors
• Antelope’s renowned 64-bit Acoustically Focused Clocking with Atomic input
• Antelope’s proprietary Oven Controlled Oscillator for supreme clocking stability
• Four word clock outputs and one word clock input
• Five presets for fast and easy recall of favorite setups
• 1U rack size with power consumption of 15 Watts and very low heating levels
• A user friendly desktop application available for both Windows and OS X